If you want to have an outdoor living space, then having a patio or deck might just be right for you. Many people don’t actually know the difference between the two sometimes even think that they are the same thing, but not really.
A deck is an outdoor living space placed on a platform that is connected to the house. A patio is an outdoor living space that is directly on the ground which could be attached to the ground or placed on a spot far from the house.
There are some similarities between the two, such as outdoor furniture placed on them, sometimes with a barbecue pit or in some cases, even hot tubs. Both also increase the overall value of a property.
But, it is important what a deck or a patio can offer you so can make the right choice in selecting what you want to be built for your home.
Advantages of a patio
- You’ll get a more secluded outdoor space. Since patios are built on the ground, you can take advantage of the shrubbery in your property and have some privacy during your time for relaxation.
- You’ll have an outdoor living area that is low maintenance.
- Patios could last for a long time since it is built with durable paving stones.
Disadvantages of a patio
- They can get slippery during rainy or snowy months.
- Can’t be constructed on the uneven ground.
Advantages of a deck
- You would get relax in an elevated spot so you can revel in the fantastic view.
- You can have it built even if the area around your house has uneven ground or terrain. As a deck has its own platform, an uneven surface would not be a problem.
Disadvantages of a deck
- Some decks may not be able to bear heavy weights.
- You will need a permit before you build a deck.
- Decks will call for more maintenance, particularly to protect them against discoloration and decay.